How to iron a shirt

This post is prompted by my friend Anne, the archivist. You may have read some of her comments, she's an expert on storing papers and documents. This has nothing to do with that though. I'm about to show you how to iron a shirt 🙂

Anne insisted I show you how I iron a shirt as I once taught her and she swears by my method. Well it's not really mine. I learned it from a tv show in the mid 80's by a lady called Puck who was kind of Martha type woman minus the good looks and great style. She basically cooked, cleaned and once showed how to best iron a shirt. That lesson has been so useful to me and made so much sense as it's such a quick and efficient way to do it. The weekend before last I ironed about 25 shirts in just a bit more than an hour which I believe proves my point. I also got a chance to catch up on some of the Martha episode's I'd recorded during the week before. Ironing is a good thing 🙂

1. Start of by flattening the collar and iron that.

2. Fold the shirt so the yoke lies flat and iron it. I think it's this step that makes a big difference.

3. Flatten the front of the right arm out and iron that.

4. Flip it over and do the other side.

5. Flatten the cuff and iron it. Then do steps 3-5 on other arm too. Or it would look funny.

6.Pull the left front of shirt over the ironing board and iron that.

7. You then pull the shirt little by little towards you and iron as you go along…

8….until you reach the other side. And you're done!

I always button the top button before hanging. This ensures the shirt keeps it's newly ironed shape in the closet. Also use real hangers, the wire cry cleaning ones will encourage you to hang the shirts too close and they'll crease.

Ps. Sorry about choosing the red check for the photos. I see now that it looks weird on screen but I couldn't bare redo the whole process with a plain shirt…

• Anna @ D16 says:

This method seems like it would be so obvious, but I know it’s not! I hate ironing shirts (and it takes me forever), but next time I’m going to follow this post step by step.

• Rachel says:

Fablous! You can make anything look gorgeous, even ironing!

• rachel says:

One of the (very) few things for which I was grateful to the ferocious domestic science teacher-nun at my school was being taught to iron – very much in the same way as your tutorial. She added the advice that your task would be made much easier if you used your hands before the iron, ie by smoothing, stretching, straightening, and it’s true. What she didn’t impart, though, was how to enjoy ironing…..

• Fifi Flowers says:

What lovely post about ironing… but I still do not want to iron… I hate to iron… but thank you for the instruction:)

• Naomi says:

What a great post – as usual 🙂 wish I had seen it before I tackled the pile of shirts this evening. Thanks Benita.

• Concha says:

Hi Benita! This makes me laugh because it’s EXACTLY how my mum does it! Before I got married last year she insisted on teaching me this. She says she spent hours watching maids iron when she was a child at my grandmother’s house and that’s how she learn this great technique. 🙂

• Barb (Australia) says:

This is exactly how my mother taught me to do it when I was about 10 years old!

• Anne says:

It’s simply the best way… no, the only way! And as Benita knows – ironing is my sickness. I iron everything. Even my gym clothes, my jeans and my eight year old son’s t-shirts… so even though I’m an academic and earned my self a zillion university points this is my best learning ever. Thank you sweetie!

• Christine says:

Yes, this is exactly how my mother taught me too. Just one small thing she always said: don’t iron the sides of the arms, just the middle part. A sharp crease on the top and bottom of the arm doesn’t look well. I hope this makes sense, it’s hard to describe in words. 🙂
    Christine

• Alex says:

Even after living on my own for 10 years (since I was 18) I still don’t have an ironing board since I have too few stuff which need to be ironed. I only own that desk ironing board from IKEA for ocassionally ironing.
    But yes, the way you do it, is exactly the way my mom always does, and I agree, it is the best way! (though not easy to do when ironing on a desk :D)

• Karen says:

thanks for the tutorial. I ironed 1 shirt. It was faster, but I still hate to iron ;^| (takes away from knitting and crafting :^)

• Fernanda says:

Hi Benita, although I also hate ironing, I decided I can make it less awful while watching a movie on DVD. Besides, while I’m on it, kids don’t dare disturbing me, since I’m not watching TV, but attempting to tame a Hymalaya of clothing… love your blog, by the way.

• Rachel says:

Oooh, you’re on Apartment Therapy!!!

• Brandy says:

Thanks for the post. I’ve been wondering what the proper way to iron a shirt was.
    I’m serious!

• Benita says:

So funny, AT linked to the shirt ironing and somebody commented and thought it was so silly. Another one commemted that some blogger would teach how to tie a shoe lace next. It must have been a much needed post though because my hits have never been so many 🙂

• Michelle says:

I love it that someone else kind of likes ironing!
    The only thing I do different is I turn the button-side of the shirt front over so I can iron right over the buttons from the back, rather than around them from the front.
    Keep up the good blogging!

• erika says:

wow, Thats a great tip, I’ll show it to my hubbie so he can learn it too!
    by the way I love your blog,I think I’ve been here before a while ago,but now i’ll put you in my favourites so I can come by again!

• Lidiane says:

Hi!
    I’m a Brazilian reader of your blog. I’d like to thank you a lot because your tip made me a new woman! Wow…ahahahahahah
    Today I aplied your suggestion and it was so easy to iron my husband’s shirt! Great!

• John says:

Good advice.
    What if the back of the shirt has pleats?

• John, this one does. Bummer I didn’t show it… When I’m ironing the back I pull the shirt by the collar with my left hand and at the same time iron behind the pleat on both sides of it and at last on top, still pulling so the sides don’t get crushed. It works. Does this make sense?

• LisaZ says:

That’s just how I do it, without even knowing it was the proper way! Too funny. I guess I should iron more…

• These are so attractive shirts collection,I like all of them,I will buy these types of shirts.

• Anthony F. says:

I iron shirts the same way, but I iron the back of the collar first.
    That way, if the iron is too hot, you haven’t messed up the collar.
    Also, the collar should be ironed from one end to the middle, then
    the other end to the middle. That way, you never get a crease in the
    collar that you so often see.
    Anthony F.

• Brittany says:

Thanks for the post, this is almost exactly how i do it, but slightly different order. a couple of things i’m still wondering though;
    How do you avoid creases along the top of the arms? What about the darts at the cuffs of the sleeves, should they be pressed so they are crisp or ironed between so it’s a soft gathering.
    and for the pleat in the back on some shirts how far down is it supposed to continue? My father used to iron them in to the bottom of the shirt but my mother never did.

• Markella says:

Thank you! Your article and pics were very helpful!