Scent Around the House

Petra asked me if I could write a post on scent around the house and I said sure! Then I had second thoughts… We don't really have that much scent around our house other than I guess the regular cooking scents, cat litter perfumes, flowering plants and that kind of thing. The reason for this being that Martin has contact allergy against perfume and Wille has shown similar tendencies. Contact allergy means one can't touch perfumed items but isn't bothered about perfumes in the air.

I started thinking of what scents are actually in our house. Because of Martin's allergy we use fragrance free laundry detergent and don't use fabric softener. My all time favourite scent alas is freshly laundered sheets preferably using Ariel… I was really happy to find Yankee Candle's Clean Cotton in candle-, spray- and "Wunderbaum"form a few years ago. Comparing to the real thing it's only second best but still I love that scent.

So I will get that whiff of fresh laundry I have taped one of those little "Wunderbaum" Clean Cotton jars to the back of the closet doors. Everytime I slide the doors back and forth I can smell it.

I do also use fragrant cleaning products come to think of it! I love the scent of Savon de Marseille(reminds me of Provence) so when I found Ajax in that very scent of course that's what I use for cleaning. Also for washing dishes nothing beats Fairy liquid or YES as it's called over here. For some reason I always think of the isle my dad's family had in the Finnish archipelago when I smell it.

I guess a lot of my favourite smells are the kind that remind me of nice things. Like comfort food! What are your favourite scents around the house and why do you love them??

• Skye says:

Well you won’t think I am crazy that I bought a bottle of Fairy washing up liquid with me home from England then will you? I live in Australia. That’s a long way to travel for nice smelling suds!

• Skye says:

• Lindzi says:

My favorite smells in my house is the smell in my childrens warm hair, the smell of burning wax candles and a newly cleaned home (citrus etc). I don’t like the smell of food that lingers in the house – I think it is disgusting in other places than in the kitchen. When I was younger I had soaps and stuff in my drawers and wardrobes… hmm… maybe I should get some new ones. Thanks for the inspiring post!

• Lindzi says:

• Skye, that’s exactly the kind of thing I do all the time, lugging cleaning proucts around the globe 🙂

• Emmie says:

Hej! Jag är också extremt förtjust i Yankee Candles Clean Cotton och brukar alternera mellan den och deras Island Spa. En “rengöringslukt” som jag verkligen tycker om är Grummes diskmedel Natur. Nu blev jag väldigt nyfiken på Ajax Savon de Marseille; finns den att få tag på i Sverige?
    Hälsningar Emmie

• Emmie says:

Hälsningar Emmie

• Hummmlan says:

Hej!
    Såg dig på http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/inspiration/before-and-after-real-house-to-gingerbread-house-071872 Jag blev så glad att jag var i så gott sällskap! Dom gjorde ett inlägg om min lilla pysselhörna: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/look/look-a-desk-drawer-as-wall-storage-071815
    Ha en trevlig helg!
    /Hummmlan

• Hummmlan says:

Hej!
    Ha en trevlig helg!
    /Hummmlan

• Emmie, den har gått att köpa på “Boutique Eden”, egenimport.
    Hummmmlan, vad kul!!!!

• Emmie, den har gått att köpa på “Boutique Eden”, egenimport.
    Hummmmlan, vad kul!!!!

There is a smal organic shop in my town where they mix any fragrance you want, with pure organic oils. So I always take cotton fragrance, just as you described, fresh just washed sheets…and I do like that the whole place smells the same so I have in couple of rooms small oil bottle with some sticks in it to spread the fragrance…like this
    BUt I also found out that your favourite brand is also sold in Germany so I will try that one too!
    “y I have taped one of those little “Wunderbaum” Clean Cotton jars to the back of the closet doors”
    Great idea! I will use this one too 🙂

Great idea! I will use this one too 🙂

• Lisa says:

I love the smell of food that lingers about the house, given that the food smells nice, of course. Brownies, cookies, cakes, and pies give off some really nice smells when they’re cooking. Banana bread is my absolute favorite.
    I tend to like scented candles in food flavors, too. I recently got a pumpkin pie candle that I’m really liking.

• Lisa says:

• Petra from the Netherlands says:

I love home fragrance, but I must say it’s very hard to find a scent which seems natural. Most scented candles are too strong or too chemical, as are those plug-ins…
    On a recent trip to New York, I brought home all purpose cleaner from Mrs. Meyer, Basil scent. (Benita even had a look for me on her last trip since I couldn’t find all products in that scent… thanks Benita, even though it didn’t work out…!)
    So I definitely don’t think it’s crazy to bring this special stuff from another country. I always wonder what the guys at the security check think when they see such big bottles on their scan ;-))
    I do use fabric softener. Never used to, until I got married and my husband requested it. So I keep looking for the best smell, my current favourite is Lenor’s “in the sunshine”. It’s a bit strong, so I will dillute it pretty soon, but I love the smell of the fresh laundry when I get home. Especially the duvet covers, which I hang over the railing on the landing, so it hangs down into the hallway. When I open the door, I take a deep breath of the nice scent…
    Then, I also like these reed diffusers. The good thing is that you can really determine how strong the scent should be, using more or fewer reeds. I try to keep it very subtle, 2 or 3 reeds only. A nice one is a green/fresh scent from Rituals: http://uk.ritualsstore.com/product/17804/tea-with-love/
    (Rituals is a Dutch brand, and available in a few countries only)
    That’s about it. When the reed diffuser is finished I probably won’t get a new one for a while. I received this one as a gift for my birthday and I want to keep it something special…
    In the bedroom all we do is open the windows for an hour a day, and keep them ajar the rest of the day and that brings a fresh scent as it is…

• Petra from the Netherlands says:

(Rituals is a Dutch brand, and available in a few countries only)

• Ksenia in Canada says:

I love the scent of the surface spray I use: diluted citrus oil cleaner with several drops of natural geranium oil. It smells so fresh and clean and people often comment on it. I also love the dishwashing soap that we use – madarin-scented. In the washrooms I use Bronner’s lavendar soap for washing hands. I find that using tastefully scented cleaning/soap products mean that I don’t feel the need to add products specifically for adding smells. I love the smell of fresh air too, but our bathrooms don’t have windows (I air out the apartment regularly though).

• Ksenia in Canada says:

• I love the Mrs. Meyer’s product line (http://www.mrsmeyers.com). The geranium and lavender scents are my favorite. They are fragrant, yet not overwhelming… something you would feel good about using. I’m normally pretty sensitive to cleaning supply smells, but these don’t bother me at all. Have a fabulous weekend!
    xo,
    Linnea

xo,
    Linnea

• Susie says:

For many years, I had always loved the smell of almond, but had no idea why…then, one day, I accidentally found that Jergen’s hand lotion (original)comes in a cherry-almond scent. That is the lotion that my mom used to use herself while I was growing up! As she is gone now, I especially treasure that fragrance.
    Susie

• Susie says:

Susie

• Lora says:

I love the smell of baked goods so I usually have a Yankee Candle burning that smells in some way like food. The current one is spiced pumpkin. I have warm vanilla and a cinnamon one waiting their turn.

• Lora says:

• Annapolitan says:

An old boyfriend used Bounce dryer sheets for his laundry, and I grew to love the smell. Naturally, I started using them myself, and some days I double up on them. (What I really want is to be knocked over when I open the tumble dryer.) It’s a good thing I don’t have a scent-sensitive husband, because I’d have to give up the dryer sheets or the spouse, and I’m afraid it might be him!
    So when I wandered into Yankee Candle a couple of years back in search of something to buy with a gift card, I was asked what kind of fragrances I liked.
    “Ummm… I like the smell of Bounce fabric sheets.”
    “Clean Cotton!” the shop assistant announced, and pointed me to the display.
    I will be forever in her debt. Or Yankee Candle’s debt… that stuff is pricey, and I am hooked!

• Karen says:

I loved the idea of those reed diffusers when I first saw them come out. I thought, oh great, they smell wonderful! And I can put the jar of oil up high and I won’t have to worry about lit scented candles around my house (and my four-year-old boy). Well, leave it to my boy to get his balloon on a string caught up in the diffuser reeds and yank the whole thing down on his head! My first (and hopefully last) call to 911 (emergency number in US) and our first (and hopefully last) ride in an ambulance to the hospital. In the end my son was perfectly fine, the oil is pretty harmless, but it really stung his eyes and he screamed his head off. He is seven now and I use a diffuser ring on the light bulbs. I’m still too chicken to try again!
    Oh, and I loved the idea of the scented hanger hung on the back of the closet door. I’m going to try that!

• Karen says:

• Christine says:

I use Ajax cleanser, I originally purchased it because my horse’s name is Ajax, LOL. It doesn’t have a scent though beyond bleachy smelling.
    I make my own laundry detergent as it only costs me a penny a load and the clothes are scent free but SO FRESH. I love laundry, esp. sheets and towels, that have been dried on the outdoor line.
    Another scent I like is Patchouli. I use straight pure essence oils, a drop here or there. Sometimes rub a drop between my hands and run it thorugh my hair. People notice it but don’t know what it is. That is the extent of perfume ussage.
    Other scents that bring back memories are pine, sweetgrass. leather and cloves. Also a certain “salty” smell I get a whiff of here and there that reminds me of my grandmother. I have yet to figure out what that is.
    I sometimes send fancier mixed oils to my German penpal as she loves them but I do not. I get them as gifts once in awhile and pass them along to her.

• Christine says:

• Maureen says:

Despite not being a coffee drinker I do love smelling dh’s brewing coffee in the am. That says home in the a.m. for me.
    I do hang most of my clothes outside (almost all year) and getting into bed with fresh from outside sheets is pure heaven.
    I almost always have a candle burning in the kitchen tho I love coming into a house where you can smell garlic and onions cooking. As you can imagine I now have quite a collection of candle jars.
    Interesting that two specific scents mentioned are on my Ugh list…Jergens which brings back unpleasant childhood memories, and patchouli which makes me gag. I had a friend I couldn’t hug or get near her when she had it on. She stopped wearing it when she visited tho a trace always lingered on her. Chacun a son gout!

• Maureen says:

• Thanks all! I’ve loved reading about your fave scents 🙂

• Thanks all! I’ve loved reading about your fave scents 🙂

• Freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked bread! No matter what time of the day, I get hungry the second I catch a whiff!!!

• Eunice says:

My favourite smell is lemon, anything lemon … closely followed by Yankee Candle’s Clan Cotton.

• Eunice says:

• Lisen says:

Browsing through old posts, and this comment compelled me to reply. I love almond scent too. I found this almond body butter, and it smelled soo familiar, like something from my childhood, but I couldn’t put my finger on what it reminded me of. I asked my mum, and she told me it smelled like the glue in Church kindergarten. Haha, seems like glue sniffing was something I enjoyed…
    I also love Yankee candle “Baby powder” and the scent of real lavender. And the lovely heedy scent of a soap shop- that mix of several subtle scents is divine

• Lisen says: