Day in the Life

Tags: ,

Ok, so I thought I'd treat you to/bore you with a day in my life. This was my Saturday.

6.33 am Got up, kissed Mini (who always comes into the bedroom when she hears me get up) on the head and got breakfast ready for Wille and I. Yes, that is my hair at about 6.34 am. Indeed in a need for a wash at 9.02.

7.05 Survivor. We're watching season three, Africa. Everytime I watch I'm thinking "How would I do?" and quickly realize I'd be voted off first for while being a provider also being way too impatient with others lounging around and doing nothing. I'm not a tribe person.

7.45 Coffee, one more episode and some Bonus snuggeling.

9.00 Shower. I was going to say "Quick shower" but looking at the time I must have dozed off in there. Or I'm a poor note taker.

9.20 Second coat on folding stool. I have two painted ones already but found this third one as I was clearing the storage room a while ago  and for some reason it didn't get painted with the rest.

9.45 Doing the breakfast dishes and changing the sheets.

10.05 Checking e-mail and reading blogs + having 2nd and last cup of coffee of the day.

11.00 First project of the day, attaching the new seats I made on Friday for the outdoor folding stools. The one I painted earlier will have it's seat stapled on another day as it wasn't 100% dry yet.

11.45 Taking a forced break because camera battery ran out and it needed to be charged. Dang. Checking some more blogs and having a snack consisting of lactose free yoghurt (trying to cut down on lactose to see if it helps with the plumbing) and an almond biscotti. Uploaded some photos to Flickr and reheated som of last night's dinner left-overs for Wille's lunch. Did the dishes, again.

Oh. My. God, this may just be the lamest and most boring post ever. Have all these notes and photos though so I may as well post it but I won't hold it against you if you're continuing on to something a little bit more exciting. Bye!

1.05 pm Battery not fully charged but I'm eager to get started on the second project of the day. Having this blog kind of means that while I'm at home my camera follows me around so I can shoot my projects step by step and later be able to post how-tos for you guys. This project is to sew new pads for the dining area chairs

3.15 Almost finished sewing the first pad. Phew! It took three attempts to get the layers right. Two hours on ONE pad. Yikes. But I bet that now that I (finally) know what I'm doing the next five pads will be a breeze

3.45
Cutting the rest of the pad parts for assembly-line assembly tomorrow while watching Bones with Wille.

While I'm crawling around on the floor Martin arrived home with a bag full of impromptu flea market finds. There was one cool hanging lamp which we are now struggling to find a place for, an awesome Union Jack cup and these green and orange cups that perfectly match the two much earlier egg cup finds. There was also the polka dot glass barely visible in the back ground. I'm afraid the green and orange cups and the glass are going to our local charity shop. The cups are going because we never ever use that size and they'll just collect dust and take up space and the glass because I'm not into the "one random glass" thing. If you think I'm being rude, look at it this way, Martin's purchases earned that school class some money AND it will make some money for the charity shop that will also sell them.

All through the day
. Doing laundry.

4.10 Having a glass of wine. Kind of early but I deserve it after having crawled around on the floor all afternoon. Lets call this one medicine for poor aching backs and knees, shall we.

5.25 Rain. Rain. More rain. I had a list of outdoor projects for this weekend but the rain kind of changed my plans. I did get quite a few things done inside though.

6.05 Dinner. Martin and Wille were having some marinated steak which I have a problem with (not really a meat person) so I had what Wille had for lunch for dinner.

6.45 Doing dishes. Yes, again.

013 ps
7.00 Cleaning the kitchen floor and wiping those finger print magnet cabinet corners.

7.45 Watching TV and prepping Sunday morning's scones in a commercial break.

Oh no, those ugly glasses made it into the shot. Martin and Wille got them at some museum event and I can't stand them. They insist that they are the glasses that Sunday OJ must be served in. I'm usually pretty good at breaking things when I do the dishes but for some reason these have survived. We'll see for how much longer.

8.00 Watching CSI and bookmarking some cookie and cake recipes.

9.45 Realizing I'm falling asleep in front of the TV. Straightening out cushions and quickly decluttering the coffee table.

10.00 Emptying cat litter box and getting ready for bed.

10.23 Turn out light after having read in bed for a little while. God natt!

Ok, so I applaud you if you made it all the way to the end. I'm not sure I would have if this were someone else's account of their Saturday. I hereby present you with a gold star. Ding!

• Emma says:

What fun Benita!
    A very different post from you 🙂
    You really do get on with things. It’s inspired me to do the same with a day in my life. I hope I’ll get a nice surprise with how much I achieve in an ordinary day.
    BTW I’m happy to get a gold star from anyone and for anything at anytime – they’re a rare commodity- thanks 🙂
    Emma

• Josefine says:

Yay, I made my way to the end 🙂
    I’m so glad to read I’m not the only one being super busy on saturday or sunday. Since I have some exam testS [2 to come, 3 done already] within the next two weeks all I do at the weekend is switching from sitting at my desk to doing the laundry/ cook/ washing the dishes and so on..
    And I also fall asleep in front of the tv, it my superhero ability to fall asleep whenever I lay [or half lay] in front of a tv.
    Have a super nice week
    Josefine

• Karin says:

I guess it should have been boring, but I was somehow strangely intrigued by this post 😀 Looks like a great and productive day though. I wished I get so much done, especially considering you do the dishes by hand. I don’t do that, but still I’m not nearly as productive as you are. Maybe those three little creatures that crawl around here have something to do with it 🙂

• Susanne Meyer says:

Hej
    Jag måste få fråga vad det är för vinglas du har. De ser precis ut som sådana jag har letat efter:
    Susanne

• kirstie says:

Actually, this kind of post is really interesting. I think most people spend most of their day doing stuff that seems quite mundane. Whoever you are you have to deal with dishes and laundry somehow, but it’s the bit of somebody else’s life that you hardly ever get to see.

• Maggie says:

Yay, that was fun! thanks, I love seeing how other people carve up their day. And as always, I am amazed/inspired by your industriousness. If only I could squeeze as much in as you. I suppose I could if I didn’t spend so much time on my laptop.

• Siv Aksdal says:

Ahh thanks for the gold star.. Haven’t gotten one of those since Sunday school which by the way I mostly overslept for…
    Wish I had a Sunday that was that productive.
    Have a great week.

• valeria says:

I am the same way about stuff. We are moving to Seattle in less than two months and I am donating to charities a bunch of stuff. I am unsentimental when it comes to decluttering. ( a good thing because our condo is tiny!). I would not know what to do with a single glass … unless it could be used in the bathroom.

• April in CT says:

I loved this post! It’s really interesting to see someones day and what they accomplished. Thanks for taking the time to document it in pictures for us. 🙂

• Benita,
    You get more done in one day than I do in three. This is a good post for people like me to read. 🙂

• joanser says:

Bravo, Benita. Found your chronicle interesting. Life is life, wherever we are. Your “to-do” list and the “what’s gotten done” list are inspiring me to get GOING on my projects. Thanks for posting. Joan in Louisiana

• marigio says:

Lovely post, you inspire me.

• Kathleen S. says:

Were you born efficient? Do you pack that much into every weekend day? Your post did make me wonder if I actually am doing more than I realize, for example dishes three times a day which is such a regular task I don’t think about it. I thought your post was very interesting and thought provoking. Thanks!

• Emily O. says:

Beautiful! Although, I am feeling rather unproductive after that. You manage to get so much done in one day!

• Frau Mayer says:

Benita, HOW do you survive without a dishwasher? It’d save you HEAPS of time!

• Kari says:

This actually reminds me of my favorite quotation: “How daily life is.” (I think it is from John Stuart Mill.) Dailyness is, in the end, what our lives are about and being able to appreciate that dailyness helps us, I think, appreciate all the time in our lives–not just the big deal exciting times. Thanks for this post.

• Jennifer S. says:

Interesting. I do dishes often, too. Somehow these children of mine are always eating. I guess that happens when you are always growing. Looking at your day, I realize how much of my Saturday I wasted. I enjoyed the trip to the farmer’s market, though, so I can’t say that was a waste. However, the two hours I spent watching “Top Gun” while doing laundry was probably a waste. I was once again reminded how much I dislike that movie and Tom Cruise, but for some reason I kept watching it.

• I think I probably was… and I do pack than much into all my weekend days. There’s just so much that 1) Needs to be done in terms of maintaining the home and house and 2) I WANT to do 🙂

• There’s just not room for one in our kitchen unless we’d place it where it would be about the first thing you see entering our house and I’m not having that 🙂

• Ok, I just gave you another gold star! I don’t think I’ve ever met someone elso who dislikes Tom Cruise. I’ve never understood what he’s all about.

• A teenage son who gets up at 6:30 on a Saturday? That’s truly some sort of miracle.

• Jacilyn says:

I liked this post and didn’t find it boring at all! I felt like I got to hang out with you for the day. And I love Survivor. Wait until you get to see Heroes vs. Villians that is airing right now.
    oh…and I’m not into Tom Cruise either…but I did like Top Gun. 🙂

• Anna @ D16 says:

I actually love this kind of post! I think I’ll try to do the same thing one weekend. 🙂

• April says:

Yay! Thank you for my gold star. It’s shiny. 🙂
    I enjoyed this post! It’s always interesting to see how others live their lives.

• Gosia says:

You had an amazingly productive weekend. Now, come to think of it, each and every one of your weekends is equally efficient. You’re truly an organizational maven. It’s good that over here, we had a Mother’s Day as an excuse to do nothing. Cheers!

• Guess I’m gonna have to get some more of ’em gold stars out!
    Wille and I CAN NOT WAIT for Heroes and Villains! We daren’t go online to even check out who’s on it apart from Rupert (our fave)because we’re afraid to know too much…

• He’s the one who insists on watching it in the morning with me and will not hear of recordning it for later :).

• corinne says:

well I see that every mum,wife,women’s job is more or less the same in Sweden or Switzerland or anywhere else 😉
    Bravo ! and vivement lundi… 🙂

• Corina Oliveira Gomes says:

wow!
    You are very productive!
    waking up by 6:30 on a Saturday!
    congrats to you!!
    your projects are awesome!
    love your blog, and your home décor style!
    big hug from Brazil!!
    Corina

• jill says:

What a full day! I enjoyed this post. Sounds so nice. I like puttering around the house on weekends when I can…
    By the way, I notice that you often mention articles in the house that belong to other family members that you’d like to get rid of, and I’m wondering if it’s all sort of tongue in cheek, or does it really happen, and what is their reaction? There are so many things of my husband’s and daughter’s that I would love to see “disappear” (or break – ha ha!), but I’m afraid they would really be upset with me if I did it on the sly. Is this just something I need to be really ruthless about? Do they eventually get used to it? My daughter is young enough that I can usually pull it off, but my husband is another story… 🙂

• Do that Anna 😉
    Love your blog, all the best

• Karen says:

Loved the post! Can’t believe you can clean the kitchen floor after having a glass of wine….that is drive I tell ya!

• Vicki K says:

Thanks for the gold star! I was curious about how you watch your various programs – but it sounds like maybe early is just what time Survivor is on? We don’t watch very much ‘live’ TV but we will watch a series that is on DVD from the library. Our current one is Burn Notice. Have you seen it?

• Lyndsey says:

I thought your post was actually pretty thrilling to get to see what you do in a day. Hardly “lame and boring” at all!! Or does that make me lame and boring for loving it?!

• kelly says:

Not boring at all! Thanks for sharing — very inspirational!

• Zo says:

If you’re having plumbing problems (as I did for years) it may well be worthwhile being tested for fructose malabsorption. I have it, and it was the very last test on the list (after celiacs, lactose intollerance, and verious other proceedutres including colonoscopy, gastoscopy and blood tests)! Great to be disgnosed and truely know what foods to avoid.
    Good luck.

• I honestly don’t toss before asking (or discussing) unless it’s something really junky like socks with a bunch of holes in them och scrap pieces of paper with scribbles on them. I do plead a pretty good case so I can usually get them to consent but if Martin and Wille really want to keep something I want to get rid of we’ll keep it, I just need to figure out a way to store it so it’s not in my way all the time.

• We watch Survivor and some other shows “live” because of the cozy routine of watching them together on a certain time.
    A lot gets “taped” on our satellite disk hard drive and that gets watched when it’s convenient.
    Wille watches quite a lot via the computer and lately we’ve started hooking the flat screen into the lap top in the livingroom and watch missed episodes on there.
    We also have quite a lot of DVD’s and watch shows like Friends. Wille and Martin usually bring a lot of DVD’s on trips and watch via a small DVD player or the lap top.
    As you can see we watch A LOT of TV…
    I haven’t heard of Burn Notice, will look it up!

• Ok, this I need to check out immediately. Thank you!!!

• Carly says:

I love this post! So fun and very interesting. Thanks for sharing a day with you. 🙂

• Lisa says:

I absolutely loved this post. I always am intrigued by how other people spend their days. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• sunny says:

Thanks much for the shiny gold star!! I loved this post. For me it’s a glimpse into the life of someone who is truly born organized. I like to rely on flylady.net who helps those of us who aren’t all organized like you – to keep our houses clean and tidy and to keep up with the deep cleaning.
    Do you keep a running list of projects you’d like to accomplish? Or is it that you notice one particular room during the week and just decide to do something about the items in that room that weekend?

What a day! I would need some holidays after this.
    We have same white bowl 🙂 from the picture above and I also dislike mismatched glasses, like much more sets.
    Gettting up on weekend before nine? I can not do this.
    My 60 working hours week (weekends mostly free) needs some long weekend sleep, but again i never go to sleep before midnight even during the week.
    Then, I almost never watch TV and have a dishwasher so I could manage more…maybe I should also write down something similar this weekend in order to discover some hidden time eating moments…
    I also have some weekends where I am extensively going out (cinema, restaurant, friends) or some where I just chill with movies and books.

• Marianne. says:

Yippee, I got the gold star!

• You are welcome 🙂
    I do keep a to-do list. I’ve posted a couple on my blog before but it’s been a while, maybe I should do one again! I try to check the tasks of one by one but I do stray and take on projects that are “more fun” than the ones on the list occasionally :).

• yes i did make it to the end of the post and noticed that you had a really busy day… hope the week is going well as well!

• Maureen says:

Ok, so, you’re basically Superwoman!? I’m new to the Chez Larsson community (and I’m loving it…I’ve organized so many drawers after looking at your blog, haha)! I only wish I could be as productive!

• m says:

Hi
    Buy dishwasher, you will love it 🙂