So if you read the first and second parts on my summer concrete project you might want to see the final result. If not skip this post, I totally understand if you’re sick of all the prep work.
Anyway, I started preparing the cardboard tube by giving it several coats of this natural rubber solution. It prevents the cardboard from getting soggy from the wet concrete and to prevent cardboard remnants to stick to the finished product. To be honest I think I could have skipped it for this project. 1. Because the cardboard was so thick. 2. Because you wont be able to see the sides of my finished product. I had some left from way back when i did those other projects so I decided to use it after all.
I wanted to prevent the wet concrete to escape under my tube so I stuck it down to the back of an old door with duct tape. them I hot glued my numbers to the door to prevent them from shifting when I poured in the concrete. I triple checked to make sure I put them in correctly, upside down! Making a backward 72 would not have been a pleasing end result.
Then I mixed the concrete. I don’t have a mixer so I just used a shovel in a bucket. The proportions are on the bag but I tend to make it slightly more watery so it pours more easily and evenly.
Then I filled all the voids around the numbers carefully, making sure I got concrete in all the little nooks and crannies.
I was a bit worried that my construction would become brittle with the 2 and 7 almost touching and possibly be too thin so I decided to reinforce my slab to be with some chicken wire and fill with concrete over the numbers.
I poured some more concrete to immerse the chicken wire and then lidted the door at one end and shook it up and down a bit to remove most of the air pockets.
My creation was laid to rest for about 36 hours covered in plastic. The plastic prevents the concrete to dry out too quickly so it cures more strongly and evenly.
After it had cured I flipped it over and removed the foam core milk carton numbers by poking them with a knife and taking them out bit by bit.
Because I want the option for something to grow in the numbers I needed to poke out the thin bottom through to the chicken wire which I did with a big screw driver and a hammer.
The not so pretty back side as I was peeling off the cardboard tube.
To let the slab cure further it must be kept moist for another 24 hours or s so I sprayed it with water and wrapped it in the tarp it was on. Please excuse the shoddy photography in this post but the sun was merciless.
Bonus modeled my finished product as I was trying to determine where exactly to place it. See Bonus smizing?
And here it is! For the moment I just transplanted some grass into the numbers but I might switch to tiny pebbles or possibly some of that creeping thyme that you can step on. Now I just mow over the slab with the lawn mover but if I do thyme I might have to trim with scissors. Too much of a hassle perhaps. I'll keep you posted! Anyway, I think it turned out pretty ok and when the grass fills in around it will look even better.
Både snyggt och praktiskt. Toppbetyg! Önskar jag hade behov av något liknande men det har jag inte (än 🙂
What an original result, love the grass filling the numbers. Very nice!
You are a genius! I love everthing you made. So amazing!
I find this project totally fascinating – really! The finished product looks very cool. well done.
LOVE the finished product, the grass adds such a nice touch. As would any low greenery I guess. How about moss?
Den är underbar! Vilket projekt! Inget man gör på en förmiddag precis ;). Känner mig ändå frestad att testa, kanske i en lite enklare form.
Petra – I’d worry moss would spread outside the number onto the lawn too… I always struggle getting rid off moss in my lawn in spring.
Cool idea!! I like it very much.
Awesome, as always 🙂
Love the idea, too, but will Mister Postman see the number if it is not whiter ( so with white pebbles in the numbers?)
Nice things to read here, as always
Lili from France
Lili – This is the back of the house entrance. The mail box is at the front of the house :).
Benita, this is such a cool idea, and your instructions were flawless. Please post pictures once the grass (or whatever you end up with!) grows in.
Looks great! What a fun, memorable way to easily guide delivery people to your home!
Lots of work, but great result. Mu hunch is that you will end up filling in the 27 with tiny white pebbles ;-).
This photo of Bonus is his centrefold in PlayCat ;-).
So cool!! Looks to be like alot of steps/work. I’ll just admire yours. 🙂 I so LOVE Bonus too … he’s so handsome!
I think that white pebbles would look lovely, too! What a great result!
Ok? It’s amazing!!!!!!
THIS! You are genius! This is why I read your blog voraciously. Such a lovely result. Good job!
Smizing!! I can’t believe you know that word. A ha haaa!
Wow! This is one of your best projects yet! Beautiful results! Well done.
This looks really amazing! I bet all your neighbours will want one now.
Einfach toll! Eine wunderbare Idee!
I love it ! great job – as always 🙂
A new style of gardening..
I would put some succulents. Gorgeous but resistant and requiring minimum attention.
I always marvel at your projects. How do you do it??? So creative and inventive. Bonus looks like my Jewels and Mini looks like my Scarlett. Love your blog here in Atlanta.
That is sooo cool! I think it would look great as a little sculpture near the front door,
Thanks for the documentation. I really like the application and aesthetics!
I agree with all of the comments above! Loved this post. You have an eye for design. Keep them coming. 🙂
Snyggt! Men vilket jobb… du inspirerar!
LOVE! And the grass within the numbers…. BRILLIANT!!
I am speechless…
great job 🙂
Love it too! Such a neat thing… where could I put something like this… Hmmm…
Love this project! So many possibilities to fill the numbers too!
Jättesnyggt! det är så kul att hålla på med betong!