Fashion is everywhere

Chez Larsson

No.27 i Concrete – Preparing the Mold

Tags: , , , , , ,

I’m back with more on the concrete house number I wrote about last week. So, Mini approved, so I continued.     I used the cut out numbers as templates and traced around them onto some foam core board. I did two of each.   Then I gathered my materials. Concrete (the fine kind), a bucket to mix in and some milk cartons.   I’m not getting into detail on how I made the numbers for the mold but basically I cut out the numbers from the foam core board and then cut pieces that went in between them to create 3D letters. For the straight sections I did longer pieces and for the curved passages I just made tiny little pieces. No need to be super precise in cutting these, just as long as they are all the same depth and don’t protrude outside the numbers. I used a glue gun for the assembly.   Here’s where the milk cartons come in. Milk cartons are great for concrete projects as they’re water resistant and slightly glossy so they’re easy to remove from the concrete once it’s set.   I was super lucky here to realize that the depth of my letters turned out to be exactly the depth of our milk cartons so I cut the cartons open and got four strips out of each one which was great. I used hot glue to stick the strips to my number carcasses. I used the existing folds on the carton to get sharp edges where I could and when I needed to I used duct tape for reinforcement. The scissors are by Fiskars by the way and in case you’re wondering. The pattern’s not really my thing but I was happy to send some old wonky craft scissors packing and let a set of these move in with me in my hobby room via a surprise package earlier this summer. Can’t get away from the fact that there are NO better scissors out there.   So after a bit of hot gluing and taping i was left with a 3D milk carton clad 2 and a 7.   Are you getting the picture? Stay tuned for the rest and the reveal!

No.27 i Concrete – Preparing the Mold

No.27 in Concrete – Starting the Project

Tags: , , , ,

So, I’ve been wanting to do another concrete craft ever since I participated in, and WON, the Panduro concrete challenge a few years ago. See my entries to the challenge at the end of this post. Anyway, I had envisaged doing a concrete circle grouping like I showed here, but as the time went by I decided against the idea. I still had some bags of concrete in the garage and was itching to do something fun with them. In the photo above you see the entrance to our back yard from the park. There were some random pavers going on a diagonal from the walkway towards the opening and they’ve bugged me ever since we moved in. 1) Don’t like those pebbled pavers at all. 2. On a diagonal? I like things straight.   So I dug them up. They’re not technically on my property so I saved them in the garage should anyone miss them. Not very likely since one was barely visible and almost completely overgrown (as a matter of fact I’m sure there are more but they’re totally overgrown). I then filled the holes with soil and there will grow weeds there in no time like the rest of that strip of lawn between us and the path, I’m sure.   My idea was to use this piece of chunky cardboard tube which I’ve saved for a long time to make a house number. We do get deliveries around the back of the house with gardening supplies etc and it’s hard to explain which house to deliver to when they all basically look the same and none have numbers back there.   So I took my tube and searched online for a font that would both work with the age of the house and would work well with concrete.  2 and 7 tend not to go well together I realized (I think it’s those diagonals again!) but in the end my choice fell on Geomancy which is kind of basic and chunky and I like the dipped toe on the 7 which makes it a tiny bit more interesting. I then printed the numbers in a size that would fit well inside my tube and cut them out to see what it looked like.       I should mention that I’ve have a lot of help on this project by a certain girl. A piece of paper on the floor, ANY piece of paper on the floor, and Mini will jump right in and help out. To be continued. While you’re waiting , check out my other concrete crafts: Project 1 + 2: Table weights and outdoor candle holder Project 3: Bookend Project 4: Vertical house number Project 5: Decorative star Project 6: Advent candle holder Project 7: Horizontal house number

No.27 in Concrete – Starting the Project

The Tall Bit

Tags: ,

When I had my contractors over to do the deck I also asked them to paint the tall bit of my house. It may not look taller than the bit I painted before right next to it but there are stairs to the basement just behind that flower bed and with the way I had to lean the ladder over the railing I just couldn’t reach. Even if I stood tippy toe at the very top of the ladder. And I did.   Luckily my guys aren’t afraid of heights AND are tall so for them it was a piece of cake. They even went above and beyond and did the window frames. Like I said before I LOVE them!     Still to do: Paint the handrail, attach awning fabric below handrail, paint what’s green grey, wait for grass to grow and add to and rearrange the planting in the flower bed.   Here’s what our house now looks like sandwiched between our two neighbor’s. I love how crisp and clean it now is.

The Tall Bit